LawRight holds several events during the year to raise valuable funds for our services, to showcase our work and highlight matters of public interest.
- LawRight Charity Gala, 7pm Saturday 21 March (tickets available here)
- Queensland Legal Walk, 7am Tuesday 19 May, (registrations open soon, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information)
- Public Interest Address, 29 July 2020
2018 Public Interest Address
The Public Interest Address is held every 2 years, alternating with Red Wine for Justice.
The 2018 Public Interest Address was delivered by Mick Gooda, descendant of the Gangulu people of central Queensland, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Social Justice Commissioner, and a Royal Commissioner of the Royal Commission into the Child Protection and Youth Detention Systems of the Government of the Northern Territory.
HPLC Street Soccer Tournament
The HPLC Street Soccer Tournament is held annually in August in Brisbane’s New Farm Park.
HPLC Street Soccer is an annual social inclusion event run in partnership with the Big Issue.
The soccer tournament and BBQ involves HPLC partner firms, host agencies, other supporters and players from the Big Issue's Street Soccer Program for people experiencing homelessness and related forms of marginalisation.
Read the 2015 Proctor Article on the HPLC Street Soccer Tournament: Pro bono teams on the ball.
Queensland Legal Walk
The Queensland Legal Walk is held annually in May on the Tuesday of Law Week. Walks take place in Brisbane, Townsville, Cairns, Toowoomba, Mackay, Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast.
Funds raised from the Walk help to:
- grow our health justice partnerships, which put lawyers into health settings to assist vulnerable people experiencing complex social and legal problems; and
- replenish the Disbursement Fund, which helps clients of pro bono lawyers and community legal centres to cover expenses associated with their legal matter.
Contact email@example.com for further information.
Red Wine for Justice
Red Wine for Justice is held every two years, alternative with the Public Interest Address. The 2019 event was generously hosted by Herbert Smith Freehills and the wines donated for drinking and auction fuelled some excited bidding, with over $25,000 raised for LawRight.