For parties with proceedings in the Queensland Registry of the Federal Court and Federal Circuit Court of Australia, assistance may be available through LawRight’s Self Representation Service.
The service offers appointments (in person or by telephone) with solicitors who provide advice and assistance with the legal tasks necessary to progress court proceedings, including:
- advice about whether, and how, to commence or defend proceedings;
- advice about court and tribunal processes;
- assistance to draft documents such as applications, statements of claim, defences, affidavits, submissions and court and tribunal forms;
- assistance with preparing for trial and appearing in court;
- advice about appealing court and tribunal decisions;
- advice about other options for the resolution of disputes.
Who can we help?
The service helps people who are involved in, or who are considering commencing legal proceedings, and who are unable to afford private legal assistance and are ineligible for legal aid.
In the Federal Courts assistance is available for matters in the following areas:
- Competition and consumer
- Fair work
- Information privacy
- Judicial review
- Appeals (even if your legal problem does not fall within one of the above listed areas).
Please download an information brochure (linked to the right) for more information about eligibility for assistance.
How can I apply?
To apply, please complete the application form here. If you are unable to complete the online form, contact us to discuss alternative arrangements.
LawRight staff review applications received and contact eligible self-represented parties to arrange an appointment with a solicitor. Face-to-face appointments are offered at LawRight offices located in the tribunal and courts. Telephone appointments are offered to people who cannot attend a LawRight office.
If you are not eligible for assistance, you will be notified of our reasons in writing.
If you are unsure whether you are eligible for assistance, you can call us on (07) 3248 1278 to discuss your legal matter so that we can determine whether you should submit an application for assistance. We will use telephone interpreters when needed.
Our lawyers cannot give legal advice over the phone until you have been accepted as a client.
Federal Court and Federal Circuit Court office
Level 6, Harry Gibbs Commonwealth Law Courts
119 North Quay
Brisbane QLD 4000
Phone: (07) 3248 1278
Office Hours: Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm