Lawyer - Self Representation Service Federal Court of Australia
Part-time 3-4 days/week or full-time depending on experience
LawRight’s Self Representation Service in the Federal Court of Australia coordinates pro bono resources to provide unbundled legal assistance and pro bono referrals and mediations for parties.
We seek an experienced lawyer to support the Senior Lawyer at the service to provide casework and referrals for all SRS clients and assist in the management of the service.
Duties include: Receive applications and undertake assessment of eligibility for assistance; make appointments for client with volunteer solicitors and liaise with volunteer solicitors as necessary to ensure conflict checks are undertaken; conduct casework and staff appointments (in instances when volunteers aren’t available); draft correspondence and briefs to volunteer solicitors; assist with the supervision of casework by the Service paralegal and students and make referrals to LawRight member firms and barristers in collaboration with the Pro Bono Connect Service.
A more detailed description of duties are included in the attached position description.
- Knowledge of Federal Court rules and procedures, or the ability to rapidly acquire such knowledge.
- Litigation experience an advantage.
- High level oral and written communication skills.
- High level organisational and computer skills.
- Flexibility and initiative suitable for working in a team environment with limited resources.
- Strong commitment to access to justice and compassion for marginalised and vulnerable members of society and an interest in issues confronted by self-represented litigants.
- Admitted as a solicitor of the Supreme Court of Queensland or capable of immediate admission.
- Entry in the Register of Practitioners kept in the High Court of Australia
- Classification: Level 4.1 to 4.4 depending on experience.
Remuneration and Benefits:
- Annual salary from $71,000 to $77,000 pro rata, dependent on skills and experience.
- Leave loading and six weeks annual leave plus 9.5% superannuation.
- Eligibility to salary sacrifice up to $35,000 (grossed up) of income to personal and entertainment expenses.
Contract until 30 June 2020. Continuation beyond this date is subject to LawRight funding and resources.
For information about the position, please see the position description. To apply, send a brief CV and letter expressing interest and capability to perform the role to Linda Macpherson, Joint Director at email@example.com by Wednesday 6 November 2019.