Mental Health Law Practice

With a particular focus on mental health, LawRight assists people with health law issues and other legal problems that arise as a consequence of ill-health. Read below for the type of help you need. Please call us on 07 3846 6317 or email us if you need help with mental health law issues.

Advice on the Mental Health Act

We provide advice about issues arising under the Mental Health Act, including:

  • Treatment Authorities (TA);
  • ECT applications;
  • Examination Authorities (if an EA has been made about you); and
  • Other mental health law issues, including advice about your rights under the Mental Health Act 2016.

Our service is mainly conducted by telephone and through written advice. If you would like our help, please contact us on (07) 3846 6317. We will talk to you about whether we can help, and if we can, we will arrange an intake over the phone. You do not need to fill in a LawRight application form to access our service.

Mental Health Review Tribunal representation

We help people on Treatment Authorities (TA). We have a panel of trained, independent volunteers who can:

  • help clients prepare for their hearing;
  • help clients present their views to the Tribunal; and
  • advocate on the client’s behalf at the hearing.

We also provide support after the hearing, so that clients understand the outcome and can navigate any next steps.

Generally, we require at least 7 days notice to arrange an advocate.

If you would like an advocate please call LawRight on (07) 3846 6317.

We also help people in the Tribunal on referral from Legal Aid Queensland.

General civil law help

If you experience mental health or general health issues, we may be able to help you with other civil law problems, such as:

  • Centrelink or other social security issues;
  • consumer issues;
  • debts, loan agreements and bankruptcy;
  • discrimination;
  • employment;
  • advanced care planning;
  • State Penalties and Enforcement Registry (SPER) fines;
  • guardianship or administration issues;
  • housing and tenancy issues; and
  • police powers.

Depending on our capacity, we may be able to assist you with these issues directly or through one of our legal clinics at certain locations or through pro bono referral.

Who we cannot help

  • Police officers, ambulance officers, psychiatrists, nurses or community workers who are seeking information about how to make an Emergency Examination Authority or any other mental health law issue relating to their employment in the mental health sector.
  • Family, friends or community workers on behalf of patients who are able to provide us with direct instructions or who are seeking information about how to apply for an Examination Authority.
  • People on forensic orders or with a restrictive practices issue. Please contact Queensland Advocacy Incorporated on (07) 3844 4200 for assistance with these issues.
  • People with a criminal law or family law issue. Please contact Legal Aid Queensland on 1300 651 188 for assistance with these issues.